The Undecided Philosopher

The ideas and rants of a former philosopher and a present-day geek....Enjoy!

Monday, June 20, 2005

The True Joy of Father's Day...

Over the last few years, I believe that I have matured significantly. Gone are the days when I looked to the next major or minor holiday, longing for the materialistic riches that came with such a day. Generally, I am pretty laid back about such things in my old age. Yet, as a father, I now qualify for that traditional day in June when tie sales go through the roof and the Craftsman section of Sears becomes crowded with giddy children and confused mothers. And my son, along with his grandmother, made a pilgrimage to that world of all things tools in search of a present for dad.

For anyone who knows me, one of my greatest weaknesses is my love of tools; more specifically, my love of Craftsman tools. I don't know if it is the bold red and black colors that just exude manliness, or if I simply cannot stand the thought of not having the right tool at the right time. Either way, I never turn down an opportunity to bag a toy from the Craftsman section of my local Sears. My mother and my son know this all too well, so when I finally settled down to open my present from my son, I discovered a very cool flashlight and an even cooler shop clock emblazoned with that logo that I know and love so dearly. Yet, during that moment of pure tool bliss, I realized that I wasn't really happy because of the new toys in my lap. My true joy came from watching my son.

I discovered that the true joy of Father's day is a joy only a father can appreciate. It is the joy and happiness that pours from a son when he gives a gift to his father. It is the brightness in his eyes as he shows you all the parts of the card he made for you. It is the anticipation in his face as he watches you open the gift he so carefully picked out. Father's day is not about getting gifts or special dinners or watching golf uninterrupted from a cozy recliner. Father's day is a time to step back and enjoy your children, to bask in their love, and realize all the joy they represent in your life. As I sit here in my office and look up at the clock I opened on Father's day, I don't see that logo I once cherished so much. I see the face of my son as he watched me open it and the hug he gave me as he said, "Happy Father's Day...I love you."

1 Comments:

  • At October 11, 2005 1:23 AM , Blogger Mike said...

    Golf is a great sport and I love it. The one thing I always had problems with was losing my golf balls. I came here to find information about ball golf holder. I found what I was looking for and would like to say thank you. You can check out my favourite site about ball golf holder right here if you like. Thanks again for the information.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home